Running for Your Life: CURLING 2018

I am a fan of curling.

In the milieu in which I work and play in New York City, I am in the definite minority. In fact, for the most part I feel I’m in a field (or rink) of one.

Call it an accident of birth. I haven’t curled since the 1970s and 1980s after moving to from Canada to New York City in 1988 where curling is more likely to be ridiculed as sport punch line than an object of curious interest.

So, imagine my delight that, as a business journalist in Gotham, where all eyes are turned to the financial cable networks that one of them – CNBC – broadcasts after the markets close the Olympic Curling game of the day.

Whoa! Draws to the button, to the four-foot, setting up guards. Is the ice keen? She needs to throw takeout weight, not Second Avenue weight … (The weight that we dubbed the hardest you could throw on a curling rink in Owen Sound, so much so that if your shot didn’t hit the target rock, it would leave the ice surface and crash through the wall and go barreling out on to Second Avenue.)

So bring it on! Oh, and if you have any curling questions (save your jokes for social media, where they belong), feel free to comment below !

Next: Running for Your Life: Physics? Really?


0 comments: