Running for Your Life: Slow But Sure !!

Today (November 30) marks a month to the day after I very nearly fell off the treadmill at a 8:30-per-mile pace when my left knee suddenly went lame … And I’m thrilled to report that while I wouldn’t say I’m back to where I was then, in marathon-training mode, looking to put in a sub-four hour race of 26.2 miles, I would say I have returned to the idea of Running for My Life.

As per instructions from my physical therapist, I am carefully getting back to running. I started a week ago with five minutes at a slow jog, and have been building up to today when I crossed the one-mile mark! Hardly beating any records. In fact, I ran only 12 minutes, with one minute of “cooling” down, and over that span I completed just 1.08 miles. But after how horrible I felt the day before Halloween, I almost wept when I finished that sliver of a run – and in no pain!

My goal is to keep building in two-minute aggregates, paying close attention to how my knee responds. So far, I haven’t felt but the wee-est twinges. Every other day I’ll be jogging along. Not running for my life yet, which means going hard enough and long enough that it counts as a workout and helps to keep that deep vein thrombosis bogeyman at bay. Still, I feel like I’m on my way.

Next: Running for Your Life: December Beginnings


0 comments: