Running for Your Life: More Beatlebone !!

More words of sighing grace from my fab read of the week (month?), all in the spirit of what this blog set out to do five and a half years ago: offer advice and words of passionate belief (if not wisdom), occasional witticisms, on the following topics: Running, ’Riting, and Reading.

This novel by Kevin Barry, “Beatlebone,” is proving to be so quotable, especially during these trying days in both the political and social arenas. How to keep your head when others are losing theirs. This is the latest in the timeless dialogue between Cornelius (Our man Friday) and his charge, the imagined John Lennon (Lennon tees off below):

I lost my father. He went away.

We all lost our fucken fathers.

I lost my mother. She went and died.

We all have dead fucken mothers.

So tell me how do you get by, Cornelius!

It’s simple, John. I listen to what’s around me.

Okay …

And then?

Yeah?

I react.

You listen. And you react.

Because everything you need in the world is there to be heard.

You have my interest, Cornelius.

You can see very little in the world, John. But you can hear fucken everything.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone !

Next: Running for Your Life: Slow But Sure


0 comments: