Running for Your Life: It’s the Core, Stupid

When it comes to, you know, running for your life, as in into your sixties, seventies, and dare I say it, eighties, you’ve one job.

Call it boring, pedantic, mind-numbingly sensible, it’s all the same to me.

But take care of your core.

I don’t know how many former runners I talk to who say they stopped running  because of joints: knee pain, ankle stress, hip injuries.

In the past ten years, as readers of this blog might know, I’ve had my setbacks, most significantly, a wicked knee injury and a massive hamstring tear. After the hamstring tear, one doctor said I could forget about running again.

That was seven years ago. And I continue to run at least three miles every other day.

The older you get the more attention you should spend on stretching, yes. Outside of daily Achilles tendon stretches and some basic calisthenics,  I’m not that person. But what I have done that seems to work is pay attention to core strength and, as important, running posture.

Be strong in your core, and you will put less strain on your joints. Next time you see runners look at their posture. Does their pace allow for their buttocks to vertically align with their foot strikes rather than chest-forward? The latter posture exposes knee joints to gravity and pavement-pounding stress in a way that the former does not.

What’s more, a strong core makes for lighter foot strikes, and less wear and tear on joints. I also run with patella bands and in compression socks, which mitigates the negative effects of pavement-pounding on joints.

So what do I do for core? Not much really. Since 2011, 60 nightly pushups, and tai chi, which is gentle way to build up core. Then when I run I move a lot slower than I used to, and more vertical in stride so that the strain on joints, etc., is minimized.

So far, so good. Try it, and you might like it!

Next: Running for Your Life: Touches of Tennessee

0 comments: