Running for Your Life: On Writing – Letters, That Is

I got this crazy idea. Writing letters to friends and family.

Consider it an Instagram reaction. See, I don’t have a smartphone (do they still call it that?), and heretofore I’ve not had an answer to those who say I’m failing to reach out, to connect with people. I mean, presumably, that’s what you do on social media, say on platforms like Instagram.

So, here’s my response. To write letters on paper, put those ideas, observations, memories into an envelope. Affix address, postage stamp and drop all in mailbox.

Wait a few weeks and a reply will come. Then, repeat.

I’ve been slow to get into the rhythm. But I’ve got the goods. I recently bought some attractive letter paper and even more important, while on a trip to Italy, came upon and purchased a pen based on an invention by Leonardo da Vinci in which the point is designed to be eternal – it resembles a pencil stroke but like ink it cannot be erased. The best part, though, is the point – unless damaged – never stops working as a writing utensil.

I don’t have paper for infinity, but a writing utensil, check. If not for eternity, I’d say for the next thirty years. Then I’ll hand down my pen to someone who wants to follow me in this practice …


Next: Running for Your Life: It’s Hot, Go Slow    

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a novel idea Larry but ... do you really think it will catch on? I mean ... it's so utterly different from running your fingers over the keyboard and then hitting enter. Such an ingenious idea though. I may have to try that myself sometime.

larry o'connor said...

Funny ! Glad to get this response ... I feel like I'm definitely in this for the long haul, so if I've got time on my hands, let me have a pen in my hand !