Running for Your Life: Finally, It’s April

Running a good pace on Manhattan streets is no mindless trot. And it makes sense, doesn’t it, I mean it’s understandable that most pedestrians are inclined to be on the lookout for fellow walking folk on city sidewalks, not necessarily food-delivery bike guys, or up tempo runners like me. It makes for defensive running – and varies the step, which in the end might be what the doctor ordered for me, in terms of managing my consistent (but oh so much less than last year) foot pain.

Have you ever watched as a smartphone user power-walking along, not paying any attention to where they are going, collide full-force in the face with a lamp standard or signpost? I saw one guy literally staggered by the blow to the head. I swear the impact of the collision should’ve knocked him out. I asked if he was okay, and for a moment anyway, he turned away from his iPhone long enough to say, “These phones are going to be the death of me.”

Not that there is anything wrong with that. That is as long as he doesn’t take anyone else with him.

(Me, I remain a Luddite holdout. My "tablet" discovery is the iPad-sized Moleskine notebook with a spine so flexible and durable that it makes for the most efficient subway writing imaginable  !!)

*

M has consented to accompany me to Boston a week from Sunday and will be there to see me on the race course the next day at the marathon. It will be nice to know that she will be in the crowd on race day. It’s been quite a ride to get here – and I’d never have been able to do it without her support – so I’m thrilled she was able to plan to be there.

When I think of how disappointed I was this time last year when I was hobbling around from a severe hamstring injury, it makes me shiver. My problems started in early February when I thought I had a cramp in my right leg (despite running for my life I had never suffered a pulled muscle). I tried to train through it but it only got worse, so much so that I eased up on running, favored low-impact aerobic exercises and started physical therapy and massage, which really appeared to be making a difference. In mid-March, I’d restarted my regular training with high hopes, only to submit to what I still consider to be an ill advised deep-tissue massage. Less than half an hour after the treatment, my leg muscle literally felt like it had exploded. I didn’t know it then, but my dreams for Boston 2011 were over.

That was last year. For Boston 2012 I shook things up. With help from places like Finish Line Physical Therapy http://bit.ly/HiktX3, I started a different, and I think better, training regimen. Rather than run and occasionally stretch (and never work with weights), I now regularly cross-train – both stretching and full-body weight training – while pushing myself on the treadmill, including incline intervals and speed work. The thing is when you get to sixteen miles, it would be better to do it in closer to two hours than two and a half. Those final ten-plus miles are going to be tough no matter what, so I’m thinking that I’d like to minimize my time on the course as a simple strategy of self-preservation.

It’s been such a heart-warming pleasure to hear from you all, in response to an email that I sent on Tuesday. Watch this space, but know that I will be carrying those thoughts and well wishes with me every step of every mile in Boston on April 16.

Thanks for writing in, everybody .¤.¤. !

Next: Running for Your Life: Down to the Wire

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Larry,

I finally got around to checking out your marathon scribblings, and I was happy to discover that you've recovered from last year's muscle pull. I've always thought of myself as a sporty model, not prone to muscle pulls and such...but it happened to me, too! I'm not a long-distance runner, but I enjoy moving, and it was a major bummer to be on crutches. Now, two months later, I'm mostly recovered, and very glad to read that you are (apparently) fully recovered. If you can do it, maybe I can, too.

Yours,
Jim in Tucson

larry o'connor said...

Hey Jim! How nice to hear from you. Dang, all chasis -- even my 93Volvo 850 sedan! -- will eventually break down, it seems. Glad to hear that the worst of your pull is over; sounds like it was a nasty one. (Man, I can relate to that!) Yes, I am fully recovered and set for Boston on Monday. Running with fingers crossed.

With fond memories of the Tucson Book Fest,

Cheers, Larry