Running for Your Life: A Week’s Pause

For M, it’s October study days; for me time to be with her – and myself.

To recharge, begin new work, and finish old.

At times like this I think about a little boy whose longing for travel and adventure was represented by a boy’s palm-size stone that I collected from the laneway of a favorite uncle who lived eighty miles from my hometown of Owen Sound in a splendid place called Guelph.* I put that stone atop the bureau I shared with my brother T, and more than occasionally would pick it up and rub it, thinking about travel to not only Guelph but to other places that I could only hope would be as splendid.

In the meantime, if you’re in a city that has one, visit Occupy Wall Street. Decide for yourself.

Next: Running for Your Life: Training for Boston


* This is not the Guelph of historical reference, i.e.,

Country: Germany, Italy, United Kingdom, Ireland

Ancestral house:
House of Este

Titles:

 Duke of Bavaria
 Duke of Saxony
 Duke of Spoleto
 Margrave of Tuscany
 Count Palatine of the Rhine
 King of the Romans
 Holy Roman Emperor
 Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg
 Prince of Lüneburg
 Prince of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel
 Elector of Hanover
 King of Hanover
 Duke of Brunswick
 King of Great Britain
 King of the UK and Ireland
 Empress of India

Founder: Welf I, Duke of Bavaria
Final sovereign: Ernest Augustus, Duke of Brunswick
Current head: Ernst August V, Prince of Hanover
Founding: 11th century
Dissolution: 1918 (in Germany);
1901: (in UK and India)

Ethnicity: German, British

0 comments: